Have an account?

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Character Analysis: Lady Khoura Everroot

This is re-posted from my old blog, circa July 28th, 2011.


Level 85, Reflecting in the Scarlet Monastery


Khoura is my second favorite character to role play within the World of Warcraft, and she's actually much more personal for me. I rolled her originally at the end of Burning Crusade on the PvE server I was on at the time, Arathor. As I began to collect more random stuff and run out of bank space on Lycannon, I decided I needed to make myself a guild bank. I also wanted to play a druid specifically to be a tree, wanted her to be an herbalist and alchemist because it seemed to work well with a druid, and so thus, Khoura was made.





Level 30, Standing in Darnassus


I never intended to ever RP her, but then I never intended that for any of my characters. When I made her, a close friend of mine also made a druid, and we were going to level together, him as a bear, me as a tree. It didn't take long for us to run out of steam though, and she stopped at level 30 and sat there for nearly a year.

Enter Wrath of the Lich King. When I slowly started moving characters over to my current server, Moon Guard, she was the third one to be moved, right behind Lycannon. Talithara, who used to be my blood elf paladin, was first. I might have deleted Khoura if it weren't for her being my guild bank. As such, I needed her.

When I moved her over, I immediately thought of a real name for her. Khoura's name was originally Kourai, and I changed it when I transferred her over. Khoura sounded more druid-y and feral, so I went with it. On Moon Guard, I added the last name of 'Everroot'. This was an ode to a druid friend I had met back on Arathor, who even though didn't RP (normal server), named his character Brambles Everroot. In a lot of ways, he inspired me to think about RPing in WoW.

I didn't have much of an idea of a back story for her, and I knew little of Night Elf lore, so she became generic snobby night elf druid #87483924734. Even so, I didn't touch her again for a few months after I moved her and put together a sort-of profile for her.
Eventually, I met an awesome group of friends through RP here on MG. After I traded being on Horde side for Alliance, I began to RP almost exclusively on Lycannon. When she began to grow as a character, I started to incorporate alts of mine into her story to flesh it out and make it more interesting. As draenei lore goes, the Exodar crashed into night elf lands. I had decided that Lycannon was on that ship. I had also decided that Lycannon had a decent sized collection of relics, armor, weapons, etc. This was because she, well, did. My bank was bursting at the seams with random stuff, having almost tripled in size since I started gathering items back on Arathor. Khoura was still sitting there at level 30 as my bank alt. It didn't take me long to decide to put two obvious things together, and thus, Khoura became Lycannon's savior from the Exodar crash, her first friend on a new planet, and her accountant. She kept all of Lyc's stuff safe and hidden while the warrior figured the world out.

Level 62, Khoura and her pet plant with Stadht in the Outlands


This made me want to actually level her again, but sitting there trying to get a group together (this was before the LFG tool kiddos,) quickly ran my steam out. Luckily for me, the person who used to RP Lycannon's husband, McSars, also had a character around Khoura's level - Stadht. Just like me, hadn't done much in the way of RP on this alt, plus he was a tank, so we set out to RP level together. Their first IC meeting was within the Scarlet Monastery, and we just kept going with it, figuring out our characters along the way.

I started out RPing Khoura just like I had intended. She was standoffish, arrogant, calm, calculating and level headed. She only spoke when she had to, and only had one goal in mind - to finish the mission she had taken on from a group of druids on behalf of the Alliance. Stadht made attaining this goal easier, as they had similar motives. The characters developed  wonderfully together. Stadht just took Khoura's attitude on the chin, bewildered that he was fighting next to a being that had lived far longer and seen much more than he ever had. A humble hero who enjoyed nature, he was simple. He slowly peeled back the walls Khoura had put up from such a long life, having found it easier to shut people out than let them in. She was Kaldorei, after all.

Khoura in the Outlands


No matter what she did, he always stuck around with an unwavering positive attitude anytime they were on mission together. He taught her all about the little things and how to enjoy them, about humanity and what it was like to see things from his perspective. Most importantly though, he taught her how to be a good friend. Their adventures and relationship climaxed as the left the Outlands for Northrend. The ship they were on got caught in a terrible storm, and Khoura might have died if it weren't for Stadht's heroics. When he saved her, she knew then that he meant more to her than just a partner in a mission and more than a friend (even if she didn't quite know what to do with that information). Leveling these two characters was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had ever had playing this game.

Unfortunately, this is where their travels all but stopped. Wrath had been out for a while now, and we were all rather tired of it, so continuing to level them became difficult. I still wanted to get her to 80, the level cap at the time, so I set out to level her on my own. It was nowhere near as fun, and it took me months to get her even halfway there.

Level 71, Borean Tundra


We decided that Stadht and Khoura had to part ways because they were getting assigned to different locations elsewhere. Meanwhile, I kept RPing Lycannon, and she was very much a part of that. The 59 Days storyline is where things started to change for Khoura, and not for the better. Lycannon lost her mind and tried to kill the druid, and in self defense, she stabbed Lyc with a magical dagger and supposedly killed her. The dagger was enchanted to send the soul of whoever was touched by the blade to the Emerald Dream, and that's where Lycannon was until a story twist. While everyone thought Lyc was dead, Khoura, who knew the truth, was working desperately to find a way to bring her back. Nearly frozen in a cave in the Storm Peaks of Northrend, Khoura clutched the dagger until her last breath... but she did not die. Instead, her soul had switched with Lycannon's as soon as her eyes closed, and the draenei became trapped in the elf's body.

Khoura sacrificed herself to bring Lycannon back, even if things weren't quite right.

Level 80, Lycannon trapped in Khoura's body


This single act would ultimately screw her over in the end. Things were eventually put back together and people were back in the right bodies (thanks to a bit of engineering and luck), but Khoura was not the same. She had Lycannon's memories and feelings from her occupation in her body because a part of her soul was left in the Emerald Dream. (No, that hasn't come out yet in RP, so spoiler for you guys reading this. You know who you are.) Thus, it left Khoura feeble both mentally and physically. She succumbed to Lycannon's desires and became easily influenced by the will of others.

Level 83, Khoura disguised as a cultist


This became very apparent in the Aselleus storyline. Not only did she become consumed by alien feelings, she was also used by an evil group a druids, a group she knew was definitely evil, to help kill all of her friends by using her alchemical knowledge against them. This included Lycannon, McSars and Stadht. As a final blow to her will, these same druids tore her apart, ripped her arms off and gouged her eyes out, then used the puppet Aselleus to blame... But was there something bigger at work?

At this point, Khoura was begging to be put out of her misery, but in the end Stadht came to her rescue just as he did a year earlier.  He brought her back to safety and made sure she was going to be okay. Happy ending, right?

Level 85, Khoura in the Scarlet Monastery


Wrong. Khoura was in shambles. Her mind and body both broken and stitched back together, she wanted nothing more than for Stadht to stay by her side. She missed him, and even so she pushed him away, unable to live with herself for all she did. After recovering enough to finally be able to go out in the world again, she went looking for him, and found her worst nightmare. He had moved on. She had lost her one hope, and the Kaldorei who had danced too far out on the human gangplank was suddenly in the ocean.

Right now she is out looking for Lycannon, trying to retain some semblance of sanity in the company of Kaludra's fiancee and Shadow Watch's intelligence officer, Derleth Robinson. It's actually extremely difficult for her to remain composed and focused on the mission than it seems, and she'll mutter things in draenei about Stadht and McSars when she knows no one is around because she can't help but do it. There are several other quirks and states she will get in, but they haven't come out just yet in the story.

Unfortunately for Khoura, things are about to get much worse before they get better.


Posted one year ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment